Leesburg speed dating
Downtown merchants have recently labeled themselves "Loudoun's (or, Loudoun County's, depending on the audience) Original Town Center," largely in response to the growing number of mixed-use shopping in proximity.Colors: Red is the color from the Lee Family Coat of Arms. Blue is from the Lee Family of Virginia Coat of Arms. Symbology: This flag represents the coat of arms that was in use by the Lee Family of Virginia when Leesburg was founded in 1758.Finding them is easy with our totally FREE Leesburg dating service.
On October 12 of that year (1758) the Virginia General Assembly founded the town of Leesburg upon the 60 acres (0.24 km Leesburg was renamed to honor the influential Thomas Lee and not, as is popular belief, his son Francis Lightfoot Lee who lived in Loudoun and brought up the bill to establish Leesburg, nor as is sometimes thought, Robert E. During the War of 1812, Leesburg served as a temporary haven for the United States Government and its archives (including the Declaration of Independence and the U. Constitution and portraits of early American leaders like Benjamin Franklin) when it was forced to flee Washington, D. Early in the American Civil War Leesburg was the site of the Battle of Ball's Bluff, a small but significant Confederate victory.
The white cross indicates Leesburg as a crossroads.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 12.5 square miles (32.3 km²), nearly all of it land.
The genesis of Leesburg occurred sometime before 1755 when Nicholas Minor acquired land around the intersection of the Old Carolina Road and the Potomac Ridge Road (present day Route 7) and established a tavern there.
Despite lack of growth around the tavern, upon Loudoun's formation in 1757, Minor dubbed the sparse collection of buildings about his tavern "George Town" in honor of the reigning monarch of Great Britain.